curl-users

SSL not enabled even with configure --with-ssl

From: Mark Kendrick <mark_at_ikend.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 15:13:30 -0800

Everyone:

First, if this is somewhere in the archives, my apologies. I looked and
didn't find anything similar to the problems I was having.

This might just be something to be added to the installation documents, but
it might also be a bug of some sort in the configure scripts. I've already
got it to install, but I think others might encounter the same problem I
did.

When I first unpacked Curl, I checked for the location of my SSL stuff and
found it under /usr/local/ssl , which seemed to be a standard location. I
then did:
./configure, make, make install and had no problems at all. Then, I tried
to connect to a secure site, and it said that SSL was disabled in this
installation. That didn't really surprise me, so I then did
./configure --with-ssl, make, make install , but I had the same problem. I
tried once again by specifying the exact path to the SSL stuff and even
tried the flags, but again, no luck.

The really crazy thing was that I saw it configure the SSL options when I
did "./configure --with-ssl" or "./configure --with-ssl=/usr/local/ssl".
But once I tried to connect, it didn't work. It said something like "SSL
not enabled".

The solution? Wipe the source directory, unpack the thing again, run
"./configure --with-ssl, make, make install" and it worked flawlessly.

Mark Kendrick
mark_at_ikend.com