[nova][kolla] questions on cells

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Thu Oct 3 16:35:05 UTC 2019

On 10/3/2019 3:24 AM, Mark Goddard wrote:
>> This recently merged, hopefully it helps clarify:
>>
>> https://review.opendev.org/#/c/671298/
> It does help a little for the schema migrations, but the point was
> about data migrations.

That's an excellent point. Looking at devstack [1] and grenade [2] we
don't necessarily do that properly. For devstack with a fresh install it
doesn't really matter but it should matter for grenade since we should
be migrating both cell0 and cell1. Grenade does not run in
"superconductor" mode so some of the rules might be different there,
i.e. grenade's nova.conf has the database pointed at cell1 while
devstack has the database config pointed at cell0. Either way we're not
properly running the online data migrations per cell DB as far as I can
tell. Maybe we just haven't had an online data migration yet that makes
that important, but it's definitely wrong. I also don't see anything in
the docs for the online_data_migrations command [3] to use the
--config-file option to run it against the cell DB config. I can open a
bug for that. The upgrade guide should also be updated to mention that
like for db sync in https://review.opendev.org/#/c/671298/.

[1]
https://github.com/openstack/devstack/blob/1a46c898db9c16173013d95e2bc954992121077c/lib/nova#L764
[2]