[all][tc][ptl] "Meet the project leaders" opportunities in Shanghai

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Mon Oct 7 13:36:42 UTC 2019

On 2019-10-07 08:40:01 +0000 (+0000), Alexandra Settle wrote:
> On Fri, 2019-10-04 at 18:07 +0000, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> > On 2019-10-04 12:52:34 -0500 (-0500), Eric Fried wrote:
[...]
> > > If a PTL will not be present, is it acceptable to send a
> > > delegate?
> >
> > The goal, as I understand it, is to reinforce to attendees in
> > China that OpenStack project leadership is accessible and
> > achievable, by providing opportunities for them to be able to
> > meet and speak in-person with a representative cross-section of
> > our community leaders. Is that something which can be delegated?
> > Seems to me it might convey the opposite of what's intended, but
> > I don't know if my impression is shared by others.
>
> That was indeed my intention with the initial idea proposal.
> Conceptually, the meetup would be to break down any preconceived
> notions that individuals may have.
>
> Of course, that isn't to say that there aren't many leaders in the
> community that don't hold an _official_ position. It's mostly to
> put a face to a name, to create open communication channels. I'd
> say it's up the the team's discretion as to whether or not they'd
> like to delegate the presence at this meetup.

Of course, I should have clarified. I think providing folks the
opportunity to meet and speak with a Nova core reviewer is great.
It's definitely a type of leadership we prize highly in our
community and want to encourage more of. Being "the person who
showed up on behalf of the Nova PTL because they're not present"
doesn't really make the Nova PTL position any more approachable on
the other hand. If anything, it seems to me that it might reinforce
the impression it's a distant and unachievable position.

> This meetup is not compulsory for anyone, so if you can't go, and
> can't delegate, that is also fine.

Yep, I think having a variety of different sorts of community
leaders present is what's needed, it doesn't have to (and
realistically, probably can't anyway?) involve every one of the
~hundred teams, SIGs, and other organized groups within the
community.
--
Jeremy Stanley