Does Cacti support netconf/gNMI polling?

If you figure out how to do something interesting/cool in Cacti and want to share it with the community, please post your experience here.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

tommyshum

Does Cacti support netconf/gNMI polling?

Post by tommyshum »

With new technology, a lot of new devices are disabling SNMP and start enabling TCP based polling which is more secure.

Does cacti support netconf/gNMI polling?
Osiris
Cacti Guru User

Re: Does Cacti support netconf/gNMI polling?

Post by Osiris »

By my read, netconf is ssh based on port 830. So, there is no reason it can't be supported using a script query or just a script, and preferably a script server script for scalability. It uses XML on the back end. These are all real portable. Someone simply needs to contribute the scripts/package.
Before history, there was a paradise, now dust.
alexbin301

Post by alexbin301 »

Great question! As of Cacti v2.0, native support for polling devices via NETCONF or the gNMI protocol has not yet been implemented.Cacti relies on SNMP for most of its device data collection. As you pointed out, with telemetry protocols like NETCONF becoming more common, lack of out-of-the-box support poses a limitation.However, Cacti does offer a flexible framework for creating custom scripts to poll devices and feed data back into the system. So it is possible to write Python or Bash scripts that could utilize NETCONF/gNMI APIs and populate Cacti graphs.There have been some discussions on the Cacti GitHub repo about officially integrating next-gen telemetry protocols. But for now, likely need custom scripts to bridge that capability gap.Let me know if you have any other questions! I imagine device support is something the Cacti community will look to expand more robustly in upcoming releases.Free legal templates are pre-formatted documents that provide a basic framework for various types of legal agreements or forms. These templates are often available online at no cost and can be downloaded and customized to suit specific needs.A rental ledger is a comprehensive record-keeping tool used by landlords and property managers to track and document rent payments made by tenants.
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

I'm working on a stream receiver for Cacti 1.3.x, but I've been having some difficulty allocating enough time to finish it's implementation. Since it's mostly a OpenSSL or native unencrypted inbound stream data, it's real easy to write the receiver.
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?