Spine Install Clarification Needed

Post support questions that relate to the Windows 2003/2000/XP operating systems.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

andermat

Spine Install Clarification Needed

Post by andermat »

Running Cacti on Windows Server 2012 using version 1.2.5. I have been using cmd.php but I would like to change to spine for better performance. I have over 2,000 hosts and approx 38,000 datasources and 22,000 RRDs so trying to speed things up a bit. The windows installer provides spine and creates a spine directory but I'm unable to get it to work properly. After reading the install instructions for spine it states that you need to install cygwin and download and compile spine. If this is the case then why is there a spine directory created for the windows install? Is the cygwin process only if you don't use the Windows installer?
andermat

Re: Spine Install Clarification Needed

Post by andermat »

Found my clarification here:
https://subscription.packtpub.com/book/ ... ows-system

Installing the Spine poller under Windows
Unlike Linux, where compilation from source is the preferred method, the community-based installer already comes with pre-compiled binaries for Windows. This greatly eases the installation part of Cacti on a Windows system, so you can concentrate on the actual configuration of Cacti.

Doesn't explain why the pre-compiled spine directory comes with the install instruction doc in it for installing for Linux. Kind of confusing. :(
netniV
Cacti Guru User

Post by netniV »

I would raise the documentation issue on the spine repo. That way we can ensure the correct instructions are present.
Cacti Developer & Release Manager
The Cacti Group

Director
BV IT Solutions Ltd

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+

Cacti Resources:
Cacti Website (including releases)
Cacti Issues
Cacti Development Releases
Cacti Development Documentation
BSOD2600
Cacti Moderator

Post by BSOD2600 »

pre-compiled spine binaries can also be found in https://www.cacti.net/downloads/packages/Windows/