Tips and Tricks - Misting

Weekly Tips from our Creative Team

Moderator: ACOT Employee

megamay
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 983

Tips and Tricks - Misting

Post by megamay »

Don't you hate it when you glimmer mist something and it gets all wrinkled up? I don't know about you but I have tried everything from ironing (minimal success) to heat gun (no success) and then I found this tip somewhere. (Sorry, can't remember where)

After you spray your paper with mist, put a plain piece of cardstock on top (you can reuse the same one over and over again) and then put a stack of paper or a 12x12 glass mat on top of it, followed by something else heavy (I use weights) The stack of paper or 12x 12 mat helps to distribute the weight across the whole page and keep it flat while it dries. Work on another page, or other pieces of the same page while it dries.

Also, if you are wanting more coverage from your mists, don't soak your object, that will result in puddles. Instead mist several times and let dry in between.

Finally, for masking or using stencils, it is ideal if you put adhesive on the stencil or mask to keep it from moving while you mist. (spray non permanent adhesive is great for this) but if you are lazy like me, and don't want to bother with the glue, just position your mist more or less directly above so that it isn't being angled under the edges of your mask and spray somewhat lightly to avoid puddles that will seep under your mask.

Oh and a note on the heat gun - it does work for drying glimmer mist and actually gives it more of a burnished look, I just find that it doesnt help keep the wrinkles away from my paper.
LyndaKay
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 40

Re: Tips and Tricks - Misting

Post by LyndaKay »

Thanks, Meg... great tips, especially about weighting down the paper.

Lynda
anazelia
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 803

Post by anazelia »

thanks for the tips, especially the one about how to keep it flat.
AmyTeets
Digital Designers
Gallery: 368

Post by AmyTeets »

You can actually use a brayer with a heat gun and it will lay flat ;)
Amy Teets Designs

My Blog
Facebook
Semper Fi

Snag Me!
beachlover
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 1740

Post by beachlover »

thanks for those tips, very helpful! here is a question; most of my GM's come out 'splotchy' and uneven no matter how much I shake the bottle before use... how can I avoid this?
Ann ~ Life is always better at the beach!
 view my blog (new) https://ourhideawayparadise.blogspot.com/ 

blbabe1234
Cherry Bark
Gallery: 3695

Post by blbabe1234 »

Great tips! Thanks a bunch!
Brandy 🐾 🐾 ❤️

ImageImage   ImageImageImage
AmyTeets
Digital Designers
Gallery: 368

Post by AmyTeets »

The more you shake the more blotchy it will come out. Gently tip up and down to mix then spray.
beachlover wrote:thanks for those tips, very helpful! here is a question; most of my GM's come out 'splotchy' and uneven no matter how much I shake the bottle before use... how can I avoid this?
Amy Teets Designs

My Blog
Facebook
Semper Fi

Snag Me!
Laura Fiore
Wild Cherry
Gallery: 1270

Post by Laura Fiore »

beachlover wrote:thanks for those tips, very helpful! here is a question; most of my GM's come out 'splotchy' and uneven no matter how much I shake the bottle before use... how can I avoid this?

You might also be spraying a little too close to the paper, or holding your misting hand too still. I hold the paper I'm spraying onto at least 10-12 inches away and then move my misting hand in soft strokes as I mist...gives a much better, less splotchy look for me. I also stopped misting straight down onto a project (unless I'm using a mask)...I just run outside with my paper, and mist it standing up with my arm extended.
megamay
Cherry Cola

Post by megamay »

Laura Fiore wrote:

You might also be spraying a little too close to the paper, or holding your misting hand too still. I hold the paper I'm spraying onto at least 10-12 inches away and then move my misting hand in soft strokes as I mist...gives a much better, less splotchy look for me. I also stopped misting straight down onto a project (unless I'm using a mask)...I just run outside with my paper, and mist it standing up with my arm extended.

oh yeah, when I am just misting the background without a mask, I hold the spray at an angle to the paper and both sort of out in front of me over the trash can. (My scrap room is meant to be allowed to get dirty, so I don't worry much about overspray - the wall behind my trash can is multi colored now - lol!)
Laura Fiore
Wild Cherry

Post by Laura Fiore »

megamay wrote:
Laura Fiore wrote:

oh yeah, when I am just misting the background without a mask, I hold the spray at an angle to the paper and both sort of out in front of me over the trash can. (My scrap room is meant to be allowed to get dirty, so I don't worry much about overspray - the wall behind my trash can is multi colored now - lol!)

I'm hoping I can make my back patio a little shiny with different colors of mist, LOL Or turn the lawn a different color if I step a little further out the back door :winkb:
megamay
Cherry Cola

Post by megamay »

Laura Fiore wrote:
megamay wrote:
Laura Fiore wrote:

I'm hoping I can make my back patio a little shiny with different colors of mist, LOL Or turn the lawn a different color if I step a little further out the back door :winkb:

LOL - I have white spots in my back lawn right now from my latest project. I thought mowing would take care of the spots, but they are still there.

Trying to decide if I want to share my newest project with the whole world or hang onto it for a bit, maybe take better pics. Laura - you can probably see it though :winkb:
evilqueen
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 555

Post by evilqueen »

What I have been doing is take my paper and putting repositional glue dots on the back and attaching it to poster board and after it drys it comes out flat.
Here I come to save the day! Chas
I'm the crazy lizard lady
http://scrapinlizards.blogspot.com/

beachlover
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 1740

Post by beachlover »

thanks for the tips girls! I have been shaking those bottles up too much, I know that for sure now :winkb: can't wait to go home and practice the new techniques! I defintely have lots of colors to ply with :-D

and why do I have this funny image in my head of Laura flying around in a field, with wings, spritzing the land with Glimmer Mist :-D :winkb: :-D
Ann ~ Life is always better at the beach!
 view my blog (new) https://ourhideawayparadise.blogspot.com/ 

jody01
Sweet Cherry Pie
Gallery: 1

Post by jody01 »

Thank you very much great tips will have to try the weighing it down . I have bought several bottles of glimmer mist but never quite got the end product I wanted>>
ImageImage
suslvgeo
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 517

Post by suslvgeo »

ooohhhhhhhh GREAT tips!!!!!! :inlove:
SUS ImageImageImage
Ayla
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 1078

Post by Ayla »

beachlover wrote:thanks for the tips girls! I have been shaking those bottles up too much, I know that for sure now :winkb: can't wait to go home and practice the new techniques! I defintely have lots of colors to ply with :-D

and why do I have this funny image in my head of Laura flying around in a field, with wings, spritzing the land with Glimmer Mist :-D :winkb: :-D
I have a similar image, but it also involved the neigbors laughing uproariously lol.
 Image Image
You don't quit playing because you grow old....you grow old because you quit playing.

gncntry96
Cherry Blossom
Gallery: 170

Post by gncntry96 »

Thanks for the great tips everyone! I just got my first GM, and have used it a couple times, but have been getting puddles and splotches. I think I'm probably shaking too hard. I'll just mix gently next time. Can't wait to try masking!
Rachel

Image Image

RitaS
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 299

Post by RitaS »

AmyTeets wrote:You can actually use a brayer with a heat gun and it will lay flat ;)
ohhh -double fisted tools, love that!!
Rita S

Life is about second chances. There would be no hope if God didn't give us another.

4peasinourpod
Wild Cherry
Gallery: 816

Post by 4peasinourpod »

we also learned at CHA that shaking the bottle is not recommended....rolling between your hands is better ;)
~pam~
Laura Fiore
Wild Cherry

Post by Laura Fiore »

4peasinourpod wrote:we also learned at CHA that shaking the bottle is not recommended....rolling between your hands is better ;)

this does take a freakin' long time, but it will be worth it in the end.

Someone told me to stir with it. I prefer to do figure 8's like I used to as a majorette :winkb:

Return to “Scrapbooking Tips”