Inks for paper edges

Moderator: ACOT Employee

JAire
Cherry Bomb
Gallery: 949

Inks for paper edges

Post by JAire »

I haven't paid too much attention to what type of ink I used to edge papers. Just was told that Distress inks will not really become permanent meaning that moisture can cause it to rub off when someone is flipping through the album. My layouts go into page protectors, so I'm not worried about that. But, I am preparing to make an album that uses bare papers and will be handled.
There are plenty of formulas of ink and I'm asking if you would share what you like for making soft smudges on the edges of your papers, if you have a preference.
When I read the types of ink I just zone out - I don't think I really understand their properties (except that oxides can be layered). Some will stamp on slick, like glossy cs, and are good for allowing coloring, even with markers and don't bleed, but can they be used to ink edges and give a soft look?  What about chalk inks? Will they hold up?
So, what do you like to use?
Joyce Ann
ImageImageImageImageImage

traveler
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 750

Re: Inks for paper edges

Post by traveler »

I use chalk inks for edging. My favorite is Quick Quotes PowderPuff, but the color box cat-eye ones are nice too. Both have good shapes for edging. 

Louise

Image Image Image Image Image

MTCanuk
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 2034

Post by MTCanuk »

I do lots of distressing and I just usually use Tim Holtz distress inks and have had no issues. I also have some cat eye chalk ink that I use sometimes too!
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

Leslee

Art_Teacher
Cherry Crush
Gallery: 2323

Post by Art_Teacher »

I like the Cat's Eye chalk inks, but I tend to use a spray sealer for albums that aren't in page protectors...Krylon Triple Thick Crystal Clear spray is non-yellowing and seals well! :)
Laura
 Image    Image     Image  Image  Image
scrapy1967
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 1487

Post by scrapy1967 »

I almost always use Tim Holtz distress inks but on occasion I do use some old Ranger-Jenni Bowlin inks. Oldies but goodies. Hers are some of my favorite color inks. I have used Tim's for years and have not had problems. Maybe it depends on the humidity and moisture in the area if this is the case I am  poop out of luck now since all it does is rain in Ohio! lol
ImageImage 

DN in MN
Wild Cherry
Gallery: 445

Post by DN in MN »

I also use Tim Holtz Distressing inks, the Cat eyes and ColorBox (from Michaels) without problems but mine go in protectors.   I would recommend using an Archival ink or Laura's suggestion to seal the ink. 

I hope we get to see the album when done :)
2024 Layout goal ~ 14/100      2024 Word ~ FOCUS

Sandi0805
Bowl Full of Cherries
Gallery: 2310

Post by Sandi0805 »

I have used a variety of inks for distressing.  I love the colors of the Prima chalks and how easy they are to use.  Never have had a problem with them.   I have all the Quick Quotes inks and they are great too.  I belong to a Disney kit club and she uses the Quick Quotes inks on the layouts.  Her instructions tell you what inks to use where.  Love it.  Saves me trying to guess what would look the best.  I have lots of the distress Tim Holtz inks.  I seem to only use the Vintage Photo and Black Soot.  Any other color,  I tend to use the previous inks.  Sorry, but I will never buy the cat's eye chalk inks again.  I don't know if I have gotten some old ones, but the little spongy ink pad comes off or wears out pretty quick.  I have not had that problem with any other ink pads.   I also use a finger dauber to ink the edges or one of the Tim Holtz  blending tools with felt replacements.  I think in my opinion this saves the wear and tear on the ink pads.  I also have the reinkers for the Tim Holtz so I can reink them when needed without having the cost of a new ink pad.  
 Image ImageImage
shoorn
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 2846

Post by shoorn »

I use the Prima edgers a lot and haven't had a problem and also Tim Holtz distress inks. My pages go into page protectors so I don't know if that helps. They do sit out for a week or more until I put them in the protectors and have never had the smear. 
Hi everyone!    Image   My name is Susan and I love to scrapbook!

Image ImageImage   Image
traveler
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 750

Post by traveler »

Bought one or 2 of the Prima a while back and they made a mess, smudged all over the place. I think the formula is better now because so many people seem to like them, but I never tried them again. No need as I have over 20 colors of the Quick Quotes which is more than enough for me,. 
Louise

Image Image Image Image Image

Return to “General Debate”