"Baby, It's Cold Outside"

Moderator: ACOT Employee

Flasher
Cherry Crush
Gallery: 319

Post by Flasher »

Time for me to do a little holiday pot stirring.  :greenwinkb:

A radio station here in Cleveland has removed all versions of the song "Baby, It's Cold Outside" from its Christmas rotation.  Desiray, one of the DJ's had concerns "about the song’s predatory undertones amid the “Me Too” movement."  A local news station reports that the station received "a call from a listener".  Wow.  That one listener sure seems to have a lot of power. 

I support the "Me Too" movement.  I also believe that things are being taken a little too far, including this decision, in the name of the "Me Too" movement.  If every radio station eliminated every song that had "predatory undertones" or "flirtatious" banter, there definitely wouldn't be much left to listen to. 

I've been listening to this song as long as I can remember.  My favorite version is Barry Manilow with KT Oslin.  I have never, as a teen, young adult, older adult, wife, daughter, and mother, viewed this song as predatory.  What guy doesn't try to get his girl to stay longer?  What girl doesn't try to get her guy to stay longer?  This seems pretty absurd to me.

The radio station had a poll up asking if they made the right decision.  I believe it was at 88% for the "NO" vote before the station pulled the poll.  (Gee, I wonder why.)  Even with those results though, they stand by their decision. 

I guess this really bothers me at the moment because this same radio station is running a contest to see The Rolling Stones.  If "Baby, It's Cold Outside" is offensive, how are "Brown Sugar", "Some Girls", "She's So Cold", and of course the obvious "Under My Thumb" NOT OFFENSIVE in the face of "Me Too".  Yet, all of these songs will still be heard on air after the holiday music stops.  Things that make you go hmmmm.  

I say you do all or nothing.  You can't pick and choose.

Here are the lyrics to the song, for those not familiar. 

I really can't stay - Baby it's cold outside
I've got to go away - Baby it's cold outside
This evening has been - Been hoping that you'd drop in
So very nice - I'll hold your hands, they're just like ice

My mother will start to worry - Beautiful, what's your hurry?
Father will be pacing the floor - Listen to the fireplace roar
So really I'd better scurry - Beautiful, please don't hurry
Maybe just a half a drink more - Put some records on while I pour

The neighbors might think - Baby, it's bad out there
Say, what's in this drink? - No cabs to be had out there
I wish I knew how - Your eyes are like starlight now
To break this spell - I'll take your hat, your hair looks swell

I ought to say no, no, no - Mind if I move in closer?
At least I'm gonna say that I tried - What's the sense in hurting my pride?
I really can't stay - Baby don't hold out
Ah, but it's cold outside

I've got to get home - Oh, baby, you'll freeze out there
Say, lend me your coat - It's up to your knees out there
You've really been grand - Thrill when you touch my hand
Why don't you see - How can you do this thing to me?

There's bound to be talk tomorrow - Think of my life long sorrow
At least there will be plenty implied - If you caught pneumonia and died
I really can't stay - Get over that hold out
Ah, but it's cold outside
Oh, baby, it's cold outside
Oh, baby, it's cold outside

Thoughts?
OCD is not an adjective.  It is not a personality quirk. It is not synonymous with being organized.  It is a complex and debilitating mental health illness that affects people of all ages and walks of life, and is defined by the presence of unwanted, intrusive thoughts and repetitive actions. 💙 I am an OCD warrior and I fight for my son. 💙

oceanbreezes423
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 2131

Re: "Baby, It's Cold Outside"

Post by oceanbreezes423 »

I love that song, and as you, I have never had any inkling of something negative. All I will say on this whole subject, is that it is way out of hand! Merry Christmas and let the carols ring!
ImageSusan  Image   Image  Image
lissahope26
Cherry Garcia
Gallery: 1702

Post by lissahope26 »

Well at least they can't take it out of the holiday classic movie "Elf." It will always be there! :-D
Melissa H.
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

ScrappyDistractions
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 842

Post by ScrappyDistractions »

I think people have gotten very carried away with all things politically correct.  Yes, I support #METOO (for many reasons including personal).  Yes, I support being aware of how words can be taken.  But is there anything in life we can still enjoy for the sake of enjoyment without panicking that one person out of a million might be offended by taking things wrong or out of context?  Sheesh.

Play on!
Lisa - Scrappy Distractions

ImageImageImage

blfonty
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 986

Post by blfonty »

It's a classic Christmas song - no need to get excited about it. The time period it was written for was very different from today. There's so many versions of the song over the years that it continues to be popular if not politically correct. There are many songs, movies, etc. that may be offensive to some. Thank goodness we have #metoo and others pushing for continued change.
blfonty a.k.a. Bonnie

scrappinmom99
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 1360

Post by scrappinmom99 »

I've always loved this song, even more since Elf came out. Have any of you heard the John Travolta / Olivia Newtwon-John version? He sings the lady's part - it's hysterical! Having said that - I agree - take the time period into consideration - there was more of a double standard back then. As a copy editor, (word nerd here LOL!)....the most important word in this is OUGHT....used to express obligation. She knows what's "expected of her" (to say no) but it's obviously not really what she wants to do. She "ought to say no" but she doesn't say no. But really, people need to stop getting offended over everything. This is why we can't have nice things LOL!
Happy Scrapping!
Anne-Marie
CarrieG
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 1781

Post by CarrieG »

PPPPPPPPPPFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT......I have no words for the state of the human mind lately.......
Deanna13
A Cherry on Top
Gallery: 5417

Post by Deanna13 »

That's ridiculous! Love that song! It's a classic! I get so sick of people being offended over nothing and all the 'politically correct' crap! I tend to give it a huge 'eyeroll' most of the time. Kaylee was suspended for 3 of her volleyball games this Fall because of being 'politically incorrect'. Being an upper class man she tried to get her team to step up their game and apparently she offended a couple of the girls. She had horrible coaches anyway....the kind who had to play politics and favorites and definitely not on their ability because they only won 2 games the whole season and that was when Kaylee played most of the time. So, what does that tell you?! Drama, drama, drama! I HATE DRAMA! :greenmad:
Image Image ImageImage
MTCanuk
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 2028

Post by MTCanuk »

I have no words! And I really like this song! There are a lot worse songs out there that should be banned!
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

Leslee

Flasher
Cherry Crush

Post by Flasher »

I think Anne-Marie summed it up PERFECTLY!  This is flirtatious banter . . . the girl WANTS to stay.  I just don't get how people don't see that. 
OCD is not an adjective.  It is not a personality quirk. It is not synonymous with being organized.  It is a complex and debilitating mental health illness that affects people of all ages and walks of life, and is defined by the presence of unwanted, intrusive thoughts and repetitive actions. 💙 I am an OCD warrior and I fight for my son. 💙

1scrappymom
Cherry Garcia
Gallery: 800

Post by 1scrappymom »

OK, so I'll stir... LOL

Well, let me say, NO, I don't care if the song plays. There are FAR WORSE songs on the radio that I would like to tackle and I also think there is an issue with First Amendment rights if we start banning songs. But I think part of the reason people don't like it is the line "What's in this drink"...like a date rate drug or something. But that's really a perception vs. reality thing. I think the radio station has a responsibility to make their own decision and frankly, they are likely in a no win situation. 

With that being said...

I admire the fact that people are talking about issues. I love that even though our dear young people are likely not of the same grit that we were raised, they are passionate about something. I don't think things get changed by arguing politics on social media (you'll likely see many pictures of my dogs if you're friends with me)...but I hope they use this energy to continue to make positive changes in the world...pick better battles perhaps...but get out there and do something.  As with everything, people take things too far. But there wouldn't be a #metoo movement if someone didn't have the passion to start it. But that is likely the crazy social worker in me. 
Shannon
My Blog -->  BlinnsBlog
Instagram --> @onescrappymom71
scrappinmom99
Chocolate Covered Cherry

Post by scrappinmom99 »

Deanna13 wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:05 am
That's ridiculous! Love that song! It's a classic! I get so sick of people being offended over nothing and all the 'politically correct' crap! I tend to give it a huge 'eyeroll' most of the time. Kaylee was suspended for 3 of her volleyball games this Fall because of being 'politically incorrect'. Being an upper class man she tried to get her team to step up their game and apparently she offended a couple of the girls. She had horrible coaches anyway....the kind who had to play politics and favorites and definitely not on their ability because they only won 2 games the whole season and that was when Kaylee played most of the time. So, what does that tell you?! Drama, drama, drama! I HATE DRAMA! :greenmad:

:greenmad: :(  That's not cool, Deanna! I'm sorry Kaylee had to go through that. Sounds like she is a strong leader though! I suppose that's the silver lining, but sorry she got suspended (however it did show her value on the team in W/L!)

Happy Scrapping!
Anne-Marie
57Diana
Cherry Bomb
Gallery: 365

Post by 57Diana »

As a Cleveland suburbs resident this has been a huge topic!!! And I agree it is crazy! I love this song.  I feel it does more damage when this type of situation occurs than it helps.  People need to have conversations that are realistic, not silly over something like this!!
An expert at anything was once a beginner!

blbabe1234
Cherry Bark
Gallery: 3697

Post by blbabe1234 »

News got around this far south and as a woman, I do not see anything wrong with the song. If people are gonna start requesting us remove songs, movies, books, etc because it's "Offensive", how about the songs in the rap and other genres that talk about how they treat women, or shooting up a place, or doing drugs? How about removing those from circulation? Shoot, when I was little I used to sing "Grandma got run over my reindeer" and I remember my father telling me to stop singing because "its rude and I need to show my grandmother respect". Okay....I get the principle, but is this song still being played?? YES!

Like Laura said in her original post, if we pulled everything that was offensive to at least ONCE person...what would we listen to? what would we read? watch? Some of this stuff is getting way out of hand. You know when I was younger and I STILL do..if  I don't like something...I turn it off. I stop eating it. I stop watching it. I don't read it. Plain and simple.

As for the #METOO movement, I get it and I support it. Not just as a woman, but as a human being. People far too many times abuse their power to get what they want. Men AND women. You don't hear about it when its the other way, but it happens. People in general just suck. To put it bluntly.
Brandy 🐾 🐾 ❤️

ImageImage   ImageImageImage
emmapaige
Chatty Cherry
Gallery: 2441

Post by emmapaige »

Unbelievable!!  I really have nothing else to add that hasn't already been said. I've been listening to this song (many different versions) for decades and as a woman, never taken any kind of offense.  
** Chris **

My blog: http://mommomandpoppop.blogspot.com/

ImageImageImage Image

scrappinmom99
Chocolate Covered Cherry

Post by scrappinmom99 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJZVx5vRfhU

Here's another perspective lol - John & Olivia. She's coaxing him!  ;) :greeninlove:
Happy Scrapping!
Anne-Marie
Clint Bremer
ACOT Employee
Gallery: 112

Post by Clint Bremer »

I am going to say something that my grandma told me years and years and years ago and I still use it to this day and do just fine.

Words can only hurt you if you give them power over you.
People can only hurt you if you give them power over you.
Symbols can only hurt you if you give them power over you.

To this day I keep that in mind when someone says/does/displays something to me/around me or about me.  I think 'how much of a part of my life are they?'  'Are they going to influence my decision in the end?'  If it's something that doesn't affect me or my family in any way, I normally stay out of it.

Here is the MAIN thing - when a song comes on the radio I don't like?  I turn the channel or turn the radio off.  :greensleeping: I know!

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year everyone!
Clint Bremer - General Manager
Image     Image     Image
Flasher
Cherry Crush

Post by Flasher »

cbremer80 wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:34 pm
I am going to say something that my grandma told me years and years and years ago and I still use it to this day and do just fine.

Words can only hurt you if you give them power over you.
People can only hurt you if you give them power over you.
Symbols can only hurt you if you give them power over you.

To this day I keep that in mind when someone says/does/displays something to me/around me or about me.  I think 'how much of a part of my life are they?'  'Are they going to influence my decision in the end?'  If it's something that doesn't affect me or my family in any way, I normally stay out of it.

Here is the MAIN thing - when a song comes on the radio I don't like?  I turn the channel or turn the radio off.  :greensleeping: I know!

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year everyone!
Sing it, Clint!  And, you're Grandma is right.  :greeninlove:

Retiree3
Wild Cherry
Gallery: 5437

Post by Retiree3 »

I love this song and I am very conservative. I see nothing wrong with it. I wish people would be more concerned about life and death matters  and not something so trivial.  
Clint, I agree with you!
[
Donna-Retiree3-Proud Grandmother of Three Boys!

[highlight=#000000][/highlight]

1scrapdiva (Robin)
Cherry Berry
Gallery: 479

Post by 1scrapdiva (Robin) »

I think it's terrible

Return to “General Debate”