Doilies and Diecuts Class HERE!!!!

Join Us For Another Online Crop: Feb 26-28
Laura Fiore
Wild Cherry
Gallery: 1270

Doilies and Diecuts Class HERE!!!!

Post by Laura Fiore »

***Hi everyone! I want to welcome you all to my class this afternoon! I'm editing my original class prep work post so that you can have all of the directions together in one place.

Check in and let me know you're here, and then you can read through the misting I've done if you haven't had a chance to see it yet!!!!***

I wanted to start with a few instructions ahead of time, in case anyone wants to work along with the class as we go. Most of my layouts have some Glimmer Mist on them, and that takes a bit of drying time, so here is what I did with my diecuts and doilies before I ever started making layouts.

I started with this doily from Basic Grey
Image which I LOVE! They have this in brown too and it's as beautiful as the white! But I have to be honest with you, when I purchase a paper that looks like this, I always want to get a little more bang for my buck! You just can't get that after it's already made into a layout,but you can certainly use it to make a creative background for another layout. This is how I go about doing that.

Take the doily, turn it over, so that the back side is up, line it up over a white sheet of paper and mist it with either this
Image If you use this one, make sure and keep your misting hand about 18-24" from the papers so you don't get too dark of a coverage.

Or you can use this
Image which I like better...it's a lot lighter and won't overpower the background sheet you're trying to make. I used a little of both, to get a background that looks like this:

Image and I have to apologize, I created most of these projects when it was raining outside or too dark to get great photos, so you may not get the full look at the paper until it's in a layout. This is the worst of that issue...I just forgot to take a photo until the layers were added.

Another way that you could get this masked effect, is if you used a pigment ink pad to do it. It will take a lot more work than the mists and you need to be careful not to drag the inkpad over the doily so that you don't pull at the design. You will be using the entire front side of the doily on our projects, so be careful not to destroy it in this process.
Laura Fiore
Wild Cherry

Re: Doilies and Diecuts Class Prep work

Post by Laura Fiore »

Next, I did the same thing with these:

and ended up with papers that look like this
ImageLemon Meringue mist on the cream border diecut.

Image This was kind of a mint green glittery diecut...which doesn't work for any of my layout ideas, so I misted one corner of it HEAVY with the Lemon Meringue mist, and the other with the Turquoise.

Here is an example of how I did the background paper above...I am looking to put the design on the white sheet of cardstock
Image so I just line up the diecut sheet with the edges and then spray whatever color of mist I want that design to be. For me, it's the Starfish Glimmer mist.

So, now I have this:

Image Please note, this background sheet will not be used in our class. I just want to make sure I take advantage of using that diecut as a mask for a future layout!

Here is the balance of my masking techniques:
Image I place this on one corner, lightly misted with the Starfish Glimmer mist, then lifted the diecut, place a smaller section on the other corner and misted again. I just want pattern, not full on pink paper, so I mist lightly here.

Here are all of the papers once they've dried

If you have any questions, please ask...as I said before, the photos are a little dark because of the weather
ajkulig
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 47

Post by ajkulig »

Hmmm, I can tell I am going to be putting this technique in a lot of my new layouts!
Find my books here. See the mom (crafting, cooking, organizing, and homeschooling) side of me here. {Under construction}
Laura Fiore
Wild Cherry

Post by Laura Fiore »

ajkulig wrote:Hmmm, I can tell I am going to be putting this technique in a lot of my new layouts!

Yeah baby! That package of Martha Stewart doilies is going to go a LONG way!
PezKat
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 514

Post by PezKat »

Awesome, thanks!! What a great way to get more bang for your buck. And here's a tip for others who might be using ink pads instead of a spray: use a makeup sponge or similar (Stampin' Up! sells little round ones that I cut into quarters) to apply the ink. This is what I do for almost all my distressing, it gives a lot softer look (and is easier to control IMO) than using just the pad.
Image Image
Laura Fiore
Wild Cherry

Post by Laura Fiore »

PezKat wrote:Awesome, thanks!! What a great way to get more bang for your buck. And here's a tip for others who might be using ink pads instead of a spray: use a makeup sponge or similar (Stampin' Up! sells little round ones that I cut into quarters) to apply the ink. This is what I do for almost all my distressing, it gives a lot softer look (and is easier to control IMO) than using just the pad.

Thanks Katrina :winkb:! I'm such a lazy scrapper, that I've never really gotten into inking and stamping, so I appreciate any help anyone has to offer. I'm just picturing it in my head and think it will look awesome! I'm thinking that there is some movement with the inking, so you may want to adhere the doily to the cardstock with a few pieces of repositionable adhesive to hold it in place.

If anyone using inks and diecuts or doilies has a chance to do the prepwork, be sure to share what your masked background looks like here!
emarie803
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 691

Post by emarie803 »

These look fabulous Laura!
Laura Fiore
Wild Cherry

Post by Laura Fiore »

Thanks Em!

AND ladies, if you haven't bought anything for this class, go check out all of the new diecuts from My Mind's Eye...see if there's anything you can't live without over there. If these had been in the shop two weeks ago when I placed my order, you can bet I might have grabbed a few of them for their fun edges!
killarney_rose
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 356

Post by killarney_rose »

Thank you Laura!!! I like the idea if it is a die cut paper you have with ink or spray highlighted the interior of the cuts on the original paper bring them out when you use them on a layout. And wonderful for getting as someone posted....more bang for your dollars.
luboost
Sweet Cherry Pie
Gallery: 33

Post by luboost »

ooo, that's gorgeous! I own those colors too! :inlove:
beachlover
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 1740

Post by beachlover »

I think I will be in my garage with the bottles of GM tomorrow :-D
Ann ~ Life is always better at the beach!
 view my blog (new) https://ourhideawayparadise.blogspot.com/ 

j3xs
Cherry Blossom
Gallery: 411

Post by j3xs »

So did you use 6 different doilies and sprayed them onto 6 sheets of white cardstock or did you just spray the backs of 6 doilies?

Jo :)
Kaylas_Bah
Cherry Berry
Gallery: 12

Post by Kaylas_Bah »

Wow! These are all beautiful. Going to gather my supplies are start prepping. Thanks for the instructions, Laura. Can't wait for the class!!:greenlol:
Lori
Image Image
ChrissyTina
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 221

Post by ChrissyTina »

Those are really cool looking papers! I may have to try my hand at making some of these.
Chrissy

Laura Fiore
Wild Cherry

Post by Laura Fiore »

j3xs wrote:So did you use 6 different doilies and sprayed them onto 6 sheets of white cardstock or did you just spray the backs of 6 doilies?

Jo :)

I ended up making six layouts total...I'll have directions for at least four of them.

Of the papers I made from doilies and glimmer mist, I used the white cardstock with the BG Lace Doily (the first one above...I used the yellow and Gold Glimmer Mist).

I also used the Kraft cardstock with the pink/red corners that I used the backside of my pink glitter doily to make. I'll use the pink glittery side for some embellishing on a different layout.

I used the cream colored Martha Stewart diecut that I had sprayed with yellow to brighten it up. On this same layout, I used a piece of Kraft cardstock that I misted with the green mist in my original class list. It's the Lily Pad green.

I also used the Martha Stewart diecut that is sprayed with blue on the backside of the diecut...I did this because I didn't like the look of the turquoise mist over the powder blue of the diecut. It looked much better when I turned it over and misted on the white, LOL You, of course, can use your powder blue diecut, if you like, with or without mist, once you figure out what scraps you'll use to finish off the layout.
MOM2SNOX
A Cherry on Top
Gallery: 139

Post by MOM2SNOX »

Great job Laura!
Trish ~ It's all fun and games until somebody loses an EYELET!
Cherry Jubilee

Post by »

Okay, so I just wanna see if I understand this . . . we need to prep 6 pieces of cardstock using the masking technique you did with the doilies? And, we can use any color cardstock, glimmer mist and any types of doilies? Just sol long as we end up with six?
Laura Fiore
Wild Cherry

Post by Laura Fiore »

MindySue wrote:Okay, so I just wanna see if I understand this . . . we need to prep 6 pieces of cardstock using the masking technique you did with the doilies? And, we can use any color cardstock, glimmer mist and any types of doilies? Just sol long as we end up with six?

Well, we will be using the mist on the cream Martha Stewart sheet,
the Basic Grey Doily masked sheet,

one of the MS doilies (backside sprayed) I used the blue one in this photo
Image I also used that glittery sheet of flowers that I have sprayed to change colors.
and then I used this:

so find some stuff that will work like these, and then make up your mind whether or not you want to do the rest as we do the class. I'll have instructions for two more pages, but they don't require as much misting ahead.
pawprints
A Cherry on Top
Gallery: 1045

Post by pawprints »

Really, really awesome Laura!!

Image Image Image

KYTeecher
Cherry Tart

Post by KYTeecher »

Those look FABULOUS!! I only wish I had more free time this weekend to join in on the fun! I've never participated in one of your crops before.

Return to “February Crop 2010”