Mixed Media Mix Up!

The place to chat and mingle with Scrapbook Celebrities!

Moderator: ACOT Employee

lissahope26
Cherry Garcia
Gallery: 1702

Re: Mixed Media Mix Up!

Post by lissahope26 »

Going to give this a try.
Melissa H.
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

blbabe1234
Cherry Bark
Gallery: 3696

Post by blbabe1234 »

Super fun techniques! Makes me to want to try them with my gelatos!
Brandy 🐾 🐾 ❤️

ImageImage   ImageImageImage
StacyLee
Cherry Garcia
Gallery: 927

Post by StacyLee »

Awesome videos Natalie, I missed this thread the first time around and really enjoyed watching them  :-D
Stacy

ImageImageImage

StacyLee
Cherry Garcia

Post by StacyLee »

NatalieDill wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:14 pm
lissahope26 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:43 pm
For this one, I used the same blueberry pie pigment/water mixture but used my flat brush to make paint drips.  I mixed Vicki Boutin gold glaze with the white texture paste spread over a Vicki Boutin honeycomb stencil.  I also did splatters with the wide flat brush again.
ImageI
I did not apply gesso to either one of these since I was using the Vicki Boutin foundation paper.

This is STUNNING! so so pretty!!!! 

I haven't tried the VB MM paper yet - It looks like it holds up well! That's a great alternative to gesso - we need to shout that from the rooftops! If gesso and wrinkled paper make you crazy - go for the foundation paper from Vicki!!!  

ok I’m shouting from the rooftop that I want to try the Vicki Boutin paper LOL! wonder if ACOT can restock the 12x12?? 
Stacy

ImageImageImage

Natalie Dill
Cherry Blossom
Gallery: 725

Post by Natalie Dill »

Deanna13 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:49 pm
Wonderful process video, Natalie! I think I could try my Gelatos with those techniques. What stencil did you use with your layout?

Thank you so much, Deanna! I definitely think the same techniques would apply for gelatos!

I used a hexagon stencil from Vicki Boutin. I think it was the collection before this new one, but unfortunately it's not in the store anymore.

This honeycomb from Tim Holtz should give a similar effect. https://www.acherryontop.com/shop/searc ... nce/182375
Natalie 💖 🍒  Find more at Dillightfully Crafty YouTube

Natalie Dill
Cherry Blossom

Post by Natalie Dill »

StacyLeeD wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:08 am
NatalieDill wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:14 pm
lissahope26 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:43 pm
For this one, I used the same blueberry pie pigment/water mixture but used my flat brush to make paint drips.  I mixed Vicki Boutin gold glaze with the white texture paste spread over a Vicki Boutin honeycomb stencil.  I also did splatters with the wide flat brush again.
ImageI
I did not apply gesso to either one of these since I was using the Vicki Boutin foundation paper.

This is STUNNING! so so pretty!!!! 

I haven't tried the VB MM paper yet - It looks like it holds up well! That's a great alternative to gesso - we need to shout that from the rooftops! If gesso and wrinkled paper make you crazy - go for the foundation paper from Vicki!!!   

ok I’m shouting from the rooftop that I want to try the Vicki Boutin paper LOL! wonder if ACOT can restock the 12x12??  

Suggest it in the "product reqeust" forum here! https://www.acherryontop.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=28 ( I hope that links properly, if not just search product request)

Deanna13
A Cherry on Top
Gallery: 5417

Post by Deanna13 »

Thanks for letting me know about the stencil, Natalie! I have alot of those Tim Holtz Stencils and love them. I have an Echo Park one and it's very thin. What do you think of the quality of the Vicki Boutin stencil vs the Tim Holtz ones?
Image Image ImageImage
Natalie Dill
Cherry Blossom

Post by Natalie Dill »

Deanna13 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:05 am
Thanks for letting me know about the stencil, Natalie! I have alot of those Tim Holtz Stencils and love them. I have an Echo Park one and it's very thin. What do you think of the quality of the Vicki Boutin stencil vs the Tim Holtz ones?

The Vicki stencils are great quality! They're very thick and sturdy. I just put another in my cart for today, actually! LOL

I also love those rectangular Tim Holtz stencils. I agree that the Echo Park can be flimsy, as well as Prima. However, I still find they get the job done, but I definitely use my stencils for a messy look. So I do imagine that if you were trying to attain a very precise image, a flimsy stencil may be a set back. 

I also think that the pattern of the stencil will also affect how sturdy it is. I love intricate designs, but sometimes those will be flimsy because they have so much cut out.

But I definitely recommend the Vicki Boutin stencils!

Deanna13
A Cherry on Top

Post by Deanna13 »

Thanks for your input! I'll look into the Vicki Boutin ones. 😊
Image Image ImageImage
lissahope26
Cherry Garcia

Post by lissahope26 »

Let me clarify on the VB foundations paper...if you are using very wet mediums or several mediums..you may want to gesso it. 
Melissa H.
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

StacyLee
Cherry Garcia

Post by StacyLee »

lissahope26 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:10 am
Let me clarify on the VB foundations paper...if you are using very wet mediums or several mediums..you may want to gesso it. 

Thanks for sharing this info, Melissa. I have some generic watercolor paper, but it’s kind of a dull white, or off-white. Do you find the VB to be a brighter white?
Stacy

ImageImageImage

lissahope26
Cherry Garcia

Post by lissahope26 »

StacyLeeD wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:15 am
lissahope26 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:10 am

Thanks for sharing this info, Melissa. I have some generic watercolor paper, but it’s kind of a dull white, or off-white. Do you find the VB to be a brighter white?

Yes, it’s a true white.
Melissa H.
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

lissahope26
Cherry Garcia

Post by lissahope26 »

Here's my go with distress crayons.  I rubbed them on the stencil and immediately knew that was a bad idea.  So I used blender brushes by Picket Fence (which are fabulous btw) to blend the colors through the stencil.  I wasn't happy with the results so applied some Vicki Boutin iridescent paste over the stencil also.  I really liked those results.  Thanks for the inspiration.  I have owned those distress crayons for awhile and haven't really used them. 
Melissa H.
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

Natalie Dill
Cherry Blossom

Post by Natalie Dill »

lissahope26 wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:38 pm
Here's my go with distress crayons.  I rubbed them on the stencil and immediately knew that was a bad idea.  So I used blender brushes by Picket Fence (which are fabulous btw) to blend the colors through the stencil.  I wasn't happy with the results so applied some Vicki Boutin iridescent paste over the stencil also.  I really liked those results.  Thanks for the inspiration.  I have owned those distress crayons for awhile and haven't really used them. 
ImageImage

I absolutely LOVE this! I love how you blended them. I think rubbing them on the stencil is the perfect way to apply the color, but yes, you definitely have to blend with your brushes, or a baby wipe or even a wet finger! I'm so glad you used your supplies you've had. I really really REALLY love this rainbow layout!!!!

Natalie Dill
Cherry Blossom

Post by Natalie Dill »

Another new MMMU will be up today regarding texture paste! 🎨

Here’s the 🎥 video link: Mixed Media Mix Up - Volume 3 https://youtu.be/2QD71GG1zzQ

Please let me know if you have ANY questions. ❓ I hope you’ll want to try out some texture paste on a project soon. 🍒Please post it in here - we’d love to see! 👀

lissahope26
Cherry Garcia

Post by lissahope26 »

I have used most of the techniques that were demonstrated by Natalie.  I decided to try adding the magical powders to the molding paste and stencil.  The magical powders are super messy.  I'm not a fan of them.  The result was sparkly though.   I'm not sure if I will cut this up to use elsewhere or use it as a background.
Melissa H.
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

Natalie Dill
Cherry Blossom

Post by Natalie Dill »

lissahope26 wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:22 pm
I have used most of the techniques that were demonstrated by Natalie.  I decided to try adding the magical powders to the molding paste and stencil.  The magical powders are super messy.  I'm not a fan of them.  The result was sparkly though.   I'm not sure if I will cut this up to use elsewhere or use it as a background.
ImageImage
Thank you so much for sharing!! I agree, the powders are SUPER messy. I just love that pixelated look so much, it's worth it to me. Ha! I LOVE the way yours turned out!!

Natalie Dill
Cherry Blossom

Post by Natalie Dill »

I used my favorite texture paste/powder ink technique for this layout! 

Anyone else out there been playing with texture paste while quarentined?

Natalie Dill
Cherry Blossom

Post by Natalie Dill »

Volume 4 of MMMU is on the blog!

Has anyone played with their gel press lately?
Have you been considering buying one?

It is actually a very controlled place to practice mixed media, and I find the clean up to be very minimal! Also, when using acrylic paint, which is what this tutorial focuses on, you don't even need gesso!

Please post some examples of your work if you have used a Gel Plate in the past, and especially if you're creating inspired by this  new volume of MMMU.

Deanna13
A Cherry on Top

Post by Deanna13 »

Natalie, you've probably tried alot of different mixed media products and I wondered if you could maybe do a series and explain the different products and what they're used for. I see different designers Vickin Boutin, Heidi Swapp, Tim Holtz and others promoting their products, but I don't wanna buy the same product in each of their lines if they ultimately do the same things. 

While searching for Cherries this morning I ran across a TCW Gel Medium Products linked here...
https://www.acherryontop.com/shop/new/4 ... ate/408431

I know in a recent FB Vicki Boutin mentioned a Gel Medium, but what does it actually do? and....is it the same as Gesso?
Image Image ImageImage

Return to “The Cherry Loft”