Art_Teacher's Use Your Stash/Follow Directions Challenge *WINNER*

Moderators: Rachel Kent, ACOT Employee

Art_Teacher
Cherry Crush
Gallery: 2325

Art_Teacher's Use Your Stash/Follow Directions Challenge *WINNER*

Post by Art_Teacher »

I just love how everyone had their interpretation of the directions!  Great job, cherries! :)  Randomly drawn winner is Linda L!

This challenge is a revival of a challenge that Sher (sherelm) gave during the NSD 2013 crop, and I revived in 2018.  I absolutely loved how my layout turned out and had so much fun with this, so I hope you like it.  The teal is my favorite color (if you remember, that was one of my hints before NSD.)  First some things to say - there is NO RIGHT layout at the end. This is done "blindly - it's to interpret the directions as YOU see them.  Also, you have the right as the designer of your own page to say "Nah, that won't work for me." This is up to you to follow to a "T" or to go off here and there. But the fun is, with the same basic set of directions, to see how far and what each person does with them in the end. 
 I really, REALLY encourage you NOT to peek at the gallery until you have finished your own layout, or wait to post until Sunday the 15th, if you would rather do that, because if you get influenced, we all will have carbon copies pretty much. 

I've posted the supplies first, again - and then you get the rest of the "instructions". Don’t look ahead to those instructions until you have assembled your “kit.” HAVE FUN.  I know I did, and was WOWED at the outcome!! 

SUPPLIES NEEDED: 
1. A teal sheet of 12x12 Cardstock (any shade of teal – blue-green, if you will>) 
2. 2 Patterned Papers – one a very small non-specific print (dots, swirls, plaid, etc.) and the other one a bold, pretty, floral with flowers large enough to cut out and/or cluster – both papers should be able to coordinate with the teal cardstock. 
3. Two lettering options – one big/one small (teal would look great here, or make sure they coordinate with your papers) 
4. Pull a bunch of chipboard, diecuts, embellishments, etc., that are teals and some coordinating flowers - you will need a few chipboards , die cuts, or larger stickers though, no matter what your embellishments. (you can also cut them from your die cutting machine) 
5. Either ribbon, washi tape, baker's twine, or fibers, to match that teal– you can have one, two, or all three of these options. We are using this for texture. 
6. PHOTOS: you need three 4x6 prints – all the same orientation – 3 portraits, or three landscapes.                                             
7. Some bling to coordinate (rhinestones, sequins, pearls, Stickles, or glitter works here.) 

Use Your Stash Teal Layout directions: 

1) Adhere your three photos tight together in a straight line on the teal cardstock – 
a) For portraits – they will be across the page, 1" from the bottom 
b) For landscapes – they will be 1" from the left hand side of the page going top to bottom 

2) Cut a ½  inch, or so strip of the small print paper and place it against the photos partially within the one inch border. 

3) Cut a narrow strip from the second patterned paper. This can be cut with a border punch as well and cut really thin – about ¼ of an inch. Put this piece on top of the ½" border . 

4) Pick out the largest flat shape you have in chipboard or diecuts (not bigger than 3x4 though!) and mat it with the small print paper. 

5) Now choose two smaller chipboards or die cuts that when placed side by side, together, equal roughly the same width as the large matted die cut. Adhere these three to the layout in this order: large piece on the bottom to the right of your photos, but either flush against or overlapping the photo a bit, and the other two above the large one flush with pictures as well as each die cut touching. If you are doing horizontal photos – start on the far right with the big one and move across to the right from the left. (DO NOT BE UPSET if you aren't sure you are doing it correctly – THERE IS no wrong way – it's how you are interpreting these directions!) 

6) Cut a flower from your larger floral paper – add pop dots or foam tape and add to the top of the two smaller die cuts. Select a smaller, round embellishment that can be a center or accent to the flower. Attach. 

7) Now build either up or more to the left (if horizontal photos) this collection along the photos by adding another embellishment. Something long and thin works well here. . . 

8) Use the washi tape, ribbon,  baker's twine, or fibers in three places on your page: far corner of the photos, and on either side of the "embellishment area". Be creative! 

9) Sprinkle some bling on your layout here and there – these can be Stickles, rhinestones, glitter, etc. 

10) Add title with letter stickers. Layer it over the embellishments! (Keep it legible!) 

11) Complete the page with your own writing and use the smaller letter stickers for names, dates, or smaller words in your title. 

12) Does it need anything else? Feel free to add what else to make it yours. Can't wait to see it!

The rules for this challenge are NO COMBINING with any other NSD or MB Challenges except for the 25 Item Challenge and the 2022 Lovin' It Challenge. 
All entries must be loaded into the gallery spot I've provided, by Monday, May 16 at 11:59 pm to be eligible.  (Share them back here, too. )
Your layout must be new, and can be either paper or digital, no cards. 

The randomly chosen winner of this challenge will receive a These Days 12 x 12 Collection generously provided by Cocoa Vanilla Studio.
Last edited by Art_Teacher on Wed May 18, 2022 5:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Laura
 Image    Image     Image  Image  Image
suewho372
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 940

Re: Art_Teacher's Use Your Stash/Follow Directions Challenge

Post by suewho372 »

I loooove this challenge!!!
Susan

emmapaige
Chatty Cherry
Gallery: 2446

Post by emmapaige »

This will be FUN!!!
** Chris **

My blog: http://mommomandpoppop.blogspot.com/

ImageImageImage Image

sherelm
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 735

Post by sherelm »

Oh I'm so glad to see this again, and honored that you chose it!!  I did have fun doing it but never had the joy of doing it from someone else's directions!!  Can't wait to do it!
Breauxlabs
Sweet Cherry Pie
Gallery: 781

Post by Breauxlabs »

Wow!!! This one sounds really fun!!!
Kim Breaux
ImageImage
Art_Teacher
Cherry Crush

Post by Art_Teacher »

sherelm wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 1:18 pm
Oh I'm so glad to see this again, and honored that you chose it!!  I did have fun doing it but never had the joy of doing it from someone else's directions!!  Can't wait to do it!

I did not change up the directions much, so hopefully, it has been long enough you will still enjoy it! ;)
Laura
VickiR
Cherry Cropper
Gallery: 1370

Post by VickiR »

I've never tried a challenge like this.  Off to see if I have photos for it. 
debraruffing
Sweet Cherry Pie
Gallery: 508

Post by debraruffing »

2. 2 Patterned Papers – one a very small non-specific print (dots, swirls, plaid, etc.) and the other one a bold, pretty, floral with flowers large enough to cut out and/or cluster – both papers should be able to coordinate with the red cardstock. 

I have a quick question.  In this step it says red cardstock, but I didn't see where in the supply list the red cardstock is?  I'm confused about the paper supplies. 

I have teal cardstock, teal muted print, paper with big flower so far.  :)

Thank you for your help!
Debra R. 
Nana of 5, Mama of 2, Disney Addict

ImageImage  ImageImageImage
Art_Teacher
Cherry Crush

Post by Art_Teacher »

druffing wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 1:40 pm
2. 2 Patterned Papers – one a very small non-specific print (dots, swirls, plaid, etc.) and the other one a bold, pretty, floral with flowers large enough to cut out and/or cluster – both papers should be able to coordinate with the red cardstock. 

I have a quick question.  In this step it says red cardstock, but I didn't see where in the supply list the red cardstock is?  I'm confused about the paper supplies. 

I have teal cardstock, teal muted print, paper with big flower so far.  :)

Thank you for your help!
Oops...that is a typo. It should say teal....I switched it up from 2018. LOL

Laura
sherelm
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 735

Post by sherelm »

Art_Teacher wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 1:29 pm
sherelm wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 1:18 pm

I did not change up the directions much, so hopefully, it has been long enough you will still enjoy it! ;) 

I'm OLD, lol so I can easily tell myself I don't remember most of the directions - because I DON'T!! lol
Elysandrra
Cherry Blossom
Gallery: 92

Post by Elysandrra »

Oh these challenges are so much fun! Gonna have to go to the store to find some teal, teal and more teal! I love following written instructions haha. Way easier than sketches for me.
scrappinmom99
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 1361

Post by scrappinmom99 »

Oh my! A list of supplies and how to use them - now you are speaking my language LOL!
Happy Scrapping!
Anne-Marie
Art_Teacher
Cherry Crush

Post by Art_Teacher »

scrappinmom99 wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 5:02 pm
Oh my! A list of supplies and how to use them - now you are speaking my language LOL!

Well, you know we teachers love lists and directions!  LOL
Laura
scrappinmom99
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 1361

Post by scrappinmom99 »

Art_Teacher wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 5:06 pm
scrappinmom99 wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 5:02 pm

Well, you know we teachers love lists and directions!  LOL 

And we overthinkers need help getting out of our own way! ;) 
Happy Scrapping!
Anne-Marie
Mommyof5
Sweet Cherry Pie
Gallery: 172

Post by Mommyof5 »

My kit is ready...now I have to print photos  ...I didn't prepare for the types of photos that I need to coordinate with the papers that I have that match the only 12 x 12 teal that I have in my stash!!  LOL 

I will say thought...this is going to be GORGEOUS and I would have NEVER thought to pair these papers together!
 Have a Wonderful Day!  ~Misty
 Image  Image   Image

aheatfan
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 1774

Post by aheatfan »

This looks fun, do not have the brain cells to process the kit right now because teal is not a color I normally use. Will read again in the morning with fresh eyes.  Whatever it is I know it will get me to try something new which is always good  😊
🌴Kristin  
"Be the Change You Wish to See in the World"
ImageImageImageImageImage

Art_Teacher
Cherry Crush

Post by Art_Teacher »

Mommyof5 wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 5:28 pm
My kit is ready...now I have to print photos  ...I didn't prepare for the types of photos that I need to coordinate with the papers that I have that match the only 12 x 12 teal that I have in my stash!!  LOL 

I will say thought...this is going to be GORGEOUS and I would have NEVER thought to pair these papers together!
That's why I love this challenge...it makes you go through your stash and get creative!

Laura
QueenBee89
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 1686

Post by QueenBee89 »

This was so fun! I would definitely do this sorta challenge again!!!

love

~Brandi  :)

Follow me on Instagram! @scrappy.boymama 

Image Image
Amy Jo
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 756

Post by Amy Jo »

I got a little confused placing the embellishments but think I figured it out! Fun challenge!!

ImageImageImage

Return to “NSD Online Crop 2022”