Amigo Sampler - 8-Bit Amiga Style Sampler Plugin

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Amigo Sampler

bungle wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 9:45 am It is pretty fun watching people say the TAL sampler UI is bad in an Amigo thread, you know, that VST that actually copies the look of Octamed on a low res TV screen.
I think it looks more like Protracker though. For me Octamed looked like this:
as I had multisync hires monitor :lol:
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

bungle wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 9:45 am It is pretty fun watching people say the TAL sampler UI is bad in an Amigo thread, you know, that VST that actually copies the look of Octamed on a low res TV screen.
Low res graphics + good UX vs hi res graphics + poor UX.

legendCNCD wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 1:17 pm I think it looks more like Protracker though. For me Octamed looked like this:
The earlier Octamed versions were a bit closer to what what Amigo looks like:

but yeah definitely 'inspired' more to the ProTracker sample editor than Octamed's:

Dont get it myself, TAL couldn't be any easier to navigate heh. Try setting up a 4 layer patch, mapped across different key zones on an EMU EIV and see which one is more fun and easier to navigate.. I guess if you had the orignal layout burned in memory already, I had no trouble getting used to the changes..

Vortifex wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:09 am If he made a sister plugin that was functionally and visually the same except with stereo 44.1khz sampling I'd buy it instantly.
Yes! 44.1kHz & 12/16-bit stereo would be the way to go. Obviously an Akai S1000 style sampler is very much sought after, so it is safe to assume that it would turn into a lucrative move for the developer.

mitchiemasha wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 12:40 am Just had chance to have a good sit down with this awesome VST, I love it! that grainy top end! nice!!!

Does this work... am I doing it right? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37bd4-U929Y
Edit: actually, I don't think that's allowed here. I will post the link to the thread of the upload. Sorry

Here's the link to the thread, I previously dropped the track in this post.

viewtopic.php?t=610419

Here's the track I used Amigo on the vocal sample (as shown in the video earlier on in the thread). Modulating the phase, length and a different note. My mixing is still way off and if anyone can give me some pointers on that... very much appreciated, message me. Thank you
Last edited by mitchiemasha on Mon May 20, 2024 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Click for music links... Eurotrash!
MSI z390, i7 9700k OC, Noctua Cooling, NVMe 970 Pro, 64GB 3200C16, BeQuiet PSU, W11, Cubase 13, Avenger, Spire, Nexus, iZotope, Virus TI (INTERGRATED).

mcbpete wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 2:23 pm
legendCNCD wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 1:17 pm I think it looks more like Protracker though. For me Octamed looked like this:
The earlier Octamed versions were a bit closer to what what Amigo looks like:

but yeah definitely 'inspired' more to the ProTracker sample editor than Octamed's:

The comparison to protracker is very clear
MSI z390, i7 9700k OC, Noctua Cooling, NVMe 970 Pro, 64GB 3200C16, BeQuiet PSU, W11, Cubase 13, Avenger, Spire, Nexus, iZotope, Virus TI (INTERGRATED).

I-Quit wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 9:09 pm Yes! 44.1kHz & 12/16-bit stereo would be the way to go. Obviously an Akai S1000 style sampler is very much sought after, so it is safe to assume that it would turn into a lucrative move for the developer.
That's what TAL Sampler is for.. Not sure why anyone WANTS old school Akai style keygroup setups, just use TAL, set the DAC to S1000 and there you go. Doesn't get any easier than that.

mothra wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 7:50 pm That's what TAL Sampler is for.. Not sure why anyone WANTS old school Akai style keygroup setups, just use TAL, set the DAC to S1000 and there you go. Doesn't get any easier than that.
Does it have also have the distinct stretch algorithm from the unit?

I-Quit wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 10:42 pm Does it have also have the distinct stretch algorithm from the unit?
I'm sure if you could take a minute to actually look at the website or god forbid download and read the manual, it will tell you everything you need to know..

I-Quit wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 10:42 pm
mothra wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 7:50 pm That's what TAL Sampler is for.. Not sure why anyone WANTS old school Akai style keygroup setups, just use TAL, set the DAC to S1000 and there you go. Doesn't get any easier than that.
Does it have also have the distinct stretch algorithm from the unit?
No need to download the manual. It doesn’t have the stretch algorithm. It has a stretch feature, but it’s not the authentic algorithm like in Amigooos

Hello all again!

Glad to see you're still hear discussing :).

Just wanted to clarify some things people have been talking about here.

High fidelity -
We created Amigo as a niche plugin for an underground scene, so for people asking for things like 48 or even 96k, you are missing the point.

FX plugin - This is not possible
I think people that are asking for this are subtly misunderstanding how Amigo is creating audio.
Amigo downsamples and stores an 8 bit buffer, using the same downsampling algorithm from pt2-clone. It then read from this buffer at different speeds, which is what creates the distinctive aliasing and artifacts as you pitch up and down. Beyond this, Amigo is not an authentic emulation of the Amiga, Paula Chip, or even Akai s950 for that matter. It's very much "inspired". Making the sound of Amigo into a realtime plugin would require a lot of dsp reworking that I'm not sure is even possible. It probably just needs a better dsp engineer than me :).

Stretch -
I'm so pleased to see people like my time-stretch algorithm :).
I made no effort to faithfully recreate the algorithm, but tried through trial error to make it sound as close as possible. So its a bit inaccurate to call it an Akai emulation, or saying that is got the authentic algorithm, which is why always refer to it as "Akai-style".

If theres any programmers here, I've made it open source, maybe someone can even improve it.
https://github.com/dar-io-p/potenza-time-stretch

Future updates:
We are working on version 1.1 right now, which include features such as equal slicing as a few people have asked for, slice looping and polyphonic slicing, and an internal file browser which I find a lot nicer to use than the DAW browser. This is also a gamechanger for renoise users that can't drag n drop!

Cheers,
Dario

ilchef-potenzadsp wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 11:25 am Hello all again!

Cheers,
Dario
Thank you. Looking forward for the updates.

Really happy to hear that polyphonic slicing will be added! That's going to be so incredibly useful for me!

audiouser720 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 5:51 am No need to download the manual. It doesn’t have the stretch algorithm. It has a stretch feature, but it’s not the authentic algorithm like in Amigooos
Doesn't have the 'algorithm' but it has a 'feature' huh? You've obviously never used it either.

Regardless of whether or not its the actual Akai algorithm, the time stretching/pitch shifting works exactly the same in TAL as it does in Amigo, and sounds just about exactly the same too. It nails the 90s jungle pitch shift/time stretching sound just the same.

Not sure why everyone feels the need to bother the dev with adding something that wasn't intended for the sampler, when we already have it elsewhere.

Return to “Instruments”