Logic Pro 11 is announced

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Logic Pro

This release sealed the deal for me. I am full time on Cubase now and very happy. Apple's vision for future versions is more or less obvious. More players, more packs, more AI. Basically when there is new stuff for iPad version, desktop version will get just that.
It is sad after waiting years and hoping that Version 11 would take care of all oddities and broken parts like the Browser, Flex, ARA2, Automation, mental plug in GUis from 90s etc. It has AI all over it but not a simple search for tracks or plugins? It is like an insult after all these years.

How is that an insult, since you don't use Logic anymore?

kelvyn wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 10:09 am Anyone know if Rosetta works in Sonoma and Logic 11.
Not exactly. Jumping program icon for minutes. Apparently, it will eventually start (according to some people), didn't try by myself (fortunately I don't need Rosetta).
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

Bombadil wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 9:36 am The stem splitter has problems with 'other.'
What exactly is that "problem"? I didn't notice any - in fact, I think it's the only neat thing of this release.
The marquee tool deletes an entire region, not just what was intended.
Heard about that already. What do I need to do to reproduce?

Monsieur_FyP wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 1:42 pm How is that an insult, since you don't use Logic anymore?
I was using until this release.Since Logic 4
I was coping with all the issues with workarounds hoping the next big version would take care of it since they are very common requests. Because for me it has the best GUI to work for hours and has great features despite the ones I mentioned. Since t is obvious that Apple is not interested in improving those but favouring other gimmicky features I have decided to leave . Heck they even did not adapt the brilliant iPad browser to Desktop version.

You feel almost insulted by an update. Bless you. Much better off with Cubase.

Thank you for sharing your insights into Apple. We are truly spoilt by such gestures offer a little illumination to us all in these dark times.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

revvy wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 2:18 pm You fell insulted by a free update.
People do not feel insulted by free updates. People feel insulted by Apple apparently not listening to quite some of their (partially professional) user base anymore. For years already. In fact almost for decades.
And it's not getting better in case they're coming up with features being implemented in a halfassed way (to even put it mildly).
Their updates being free or not is absolutely irrelevant - at least for me, and I know it's the same for *plenty* of longtime Logic users. They'd happily pay for decent updates.

I mean, it is disheartening that they have a bunch of non-retina plugin GUIs considering they’re the pioneers of HiDPI displays.
waveform looks like emagic logic5. On both ipad and mac.
AAF import still broken since 10.8.
I need to keep 10.7.9 around so i can do work.

Not everyone who uses logic is a hobbyist benefitting from AI bass players. I have 5 bass players i can call if by some reason i break an arm and am unable to lay down a bass track myself

Free or not, i chucked a bunch of cash into the Apple hardware.
I dont want to have to buy another DAW just to mix, because apple refuses to cater to professionals all of the sudden.

Stem splitter while great, is a pain in the ass when you have to debleed 10 backing vocal tracks. You cant select them all, you cant replace in place, you have to manually use checkboxes every single time you invoke stem splitter.
This wasn’t built with professional workflow in mind.
Last edited by Ploki on Sat May 18, 2024 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

revvy wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 2:18 pm You feel almost insulted by an update. Bless you. Much better off with Cubase.

Thank you for sharing your insights into Apple. We are truly spoilt by such gestures offer a little illumination to us all in these dark times.
I am sure you understand what I mean but you prefer mockery and stale jokes when someone has an opposite opinion of you but anyway, you are welcome funny person.

Sascha Franck wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 2:27 pm
revvy wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 2:18 pm You fell insulted by a free update.
People do not feel insulted by free updates. People feel insulted by Apple apparently not listening to quite some of their (partially professional) user base anymore. For years already. In fact almost for decades.
And it's not getting better in case they're coming up with features being implemented in a halfassed way (to even put it mildly).
Their updates being free or not is absolutely irrelevant - at least for me, and I know it's the same for *plenty* of longtime Logic users. They'd happily pay for decent updates.
I deleted free before you posted. It was indeed definitely irrelevant to the point of my post. We can agree on that.

Don’t agree about wanting ‘better’ paid upgrades though. I’m happy enough with the free ones I’ve personally enjoyed for the last 13 years. And I don’t even need bass players- I am a bass player!!

Your mileage varies, I know. You’ve said so loudly and clearly.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

andypryce wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 1:35 pm It is like an insult after all these years.
It's good you finally have a DAW you are happy with. Though why you waited so many years when there was a suitable option right there the whole time is something to examine.

Because overall I was happy with most of the program as I wrote before on my second post despite having to use a lot of workarounds and hoping at least some of them to be improved with a new major version, since this is not the case now I do not want to use workarounds anymore. Is it really hard to grasp? And why is everyone trying to be funny here? Why can not anyone write why they think this update is great and I am wrong to think like that in a civilised respectful manner?
I just wrote what I thought and people are ready to go full force mocking me, defending their favorite DAW like god without a single trace of counterargument.

revvy wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 2:35 pm Your mileage varies, I know. You’ve said so loudly and clearly.
And it's not only mine.
Consider this: Regardless of whom you'd ask, I'm sure you wouldn't find one single sane person saying that Logic's audio editing options would be even remotely based on anything one might consider "common practise" in 2024.
The audio editor functions like 25 years ago, time stretching and pitch shifting sounds like 25 years ago and audio file handling in the arrangement is the same like 25 years ago (with very few
exceptions).
Pretty much any other DAW is kicking Logic's butt regarding all that left and right. And they're not doing so because they're particularly specialized in audio editing but simply because that's nowadays standards.
But instead of improving all kinda core functionality (or at least fixing some things so they work as well as in LP9, such as the various zoom functions), they're copying from others, sometimes in a lame, halfassed way. Stem Separation can be had with Spectral Layers, Cubase has a WAY, WAY, WAY better chord track, there's EZbass and EZkeys already, etc. All this is halfbaked catching up. Yes, the fact that the Session Players are integrated helps a great deal, but that's about it already.

So: Can you still get away with all those shortcomings and enjoy things as is and all the free updates? Defenitely. If I couldn't/wouldn't, I'd already chosen a different DAW.

But all that doesn't change anything with Apple deserving all the slack there is for their shady tactics. I mean, you can enjoy the new free Studio plugins all you want, but Studio Bass is simply not release-worthy at all. It's a piece of largely untested stuff, quickly rushed through the door so they could advertise L11 along with their M4 iPad. Nothing else. On any professional level, it's a POS.

As said, you can - very obviously - still get away with things, but this update doesn't deserve much (if any) praise, even on an almost factual level.

Sascha Franck wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 1:50 pm
Bombadil wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 9:36 am The stem splitter has problems with 'other.'
What exactly is that "problem"? I didn't notice any - in fact, I think it's the only neat thing of this release.
The marquee tool deletes an entire region, not just what was intended.
Heard about that already. What do I need to do to reproduce?
Re the stem splitter. I fed it a stereo pair. It had vocals, stereo drums, bass, and 2 12 string guitars ar around 9-3 o'clock. The vocals, bass and drums came out ok, but the 12 string guitars came out as phasey mush. Which made the exercise fruitless as I wanted to do a remix, and the 12 string guitars were fingerpicked in harmony. So, I conclude 'not ready for prime time.'
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Bombadil wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 3:39 pm Re the stem splitter. I fed it a stereo pair. It had vocals, stereo drums, bass, and 2 12 string guitars ar around 9-3 o'clock. The vocals, bass and drums came out ok, but the 12 string guitars came out as phasey mush. Which made the exercise fruitless as I wanted to do a remix, and the 12 string guitars were fingerpicked in harmony. So, I conclude 'not ready for prime time.'
Well, I think that's why they called them "other" and not separated things any further. Really, can't say that there's anything wrong with it.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”